In this episode we talk about the big ping pong party, Anchorage elections, and the new senate candidate.
We’re over halfway through session! This was recorded on day 62 of what will likely be a 121 day session. We look at the work in the legislature up to the midway point and dig into the discussions around the budget and the permanent fund. Lots of clips this show ranging from values statements to the DHSS split to impacts of the pandemic on staff. And some unavoidable legislative antics.
Here’s that fiscal explainer if you need a recap…
This episode is mostly complaining.
- Why hateful speech matters: An open letter to Jamie Allard
- Free Speech Doesn’t Cover Nazi-themed License Plates
- Alaska DMV says it’s investigating how Nazi-themed vanity license plates were issued
- Inaugural Address by President Joseph R. Biden, Jr.
You can sign up for Matt’s newsletter here: The Midnight Sun Memo
We recorded this episode on New Year’s Day 2021 as a reflection on 2020 and a look ahead at 2021.
- Interest in Anchorage’s mystery sound grows, but the cause remains elusive
- Cruise ship will arrive early in Juneau after canceled Asia sailings
- Hampered by the pandemic, the movement to recall Alaska’s governor adapts
- Hedonometer 2020
- Lawmakers remember colleague killed in crash
- Anchorage mayor admits to inappropriate relationship
- Alaska’s attorney general sent hundreds of ‘uncomfortable’ texts to a female colleague
- Woman says top Dunleavy official knew of attorney general’s misconduct, was slow to act
- New Pebble tapes: ‘You aren’t held to your promises’ in election season, mine exec says
- Grandson of major backer of Dunleavy election cancels sole-source state contract
- Dunleavy hides details of $58 million plan to reorganize state government
- Alaska will have a new election system: Voters pass Ballot Measure 2
Pizza, pineapple and politics with our guest, Carole Triem.